Sunday, October 7, 2007

I love the underdog


Ever since I was a little kid I loved the underdog. I loved the cartoon. I loved the concept. I loved the everything behind the story of the underdog. I think that I first remember hearing about David and Goliath was at Church. I went to a Spanish speaking church that gave me an appreciation for other cultures other than my own. But that is for another blog. My Sunday School Teacher was Mrs. Camerena. She was one of many sisters and one of them was in my Sunday school class. She was a bossy little girl. The baby. Smaller than most. We were being taught the lesson of David and Goliath but there was always interruptions by the bossy one. I wanted to hear the story but it was difficult with the bossy one asking questions like...Can I pass out the snacks yet? Can I have the flannelgraph cut out of David? (FlannelGraphs were the best lo-tech visual ever created. It was nothing more than a piece of flannel on a piece of card board resting on an easel. The paper characters had this fuzz on the back of them that allowed you to "stick" a paper cut out on the flannel and it would magically hang on the flannel) What time does church end today? Are we having a pot luck afterwards? There was always interruptions from the bossy one. When I finally heard the story, I was enthralled. This is something that I could identify with. I was sick as a kid. I was the first minority to attend Los Altos School District, I had parents that were strict and was not allowed to go to dances or social functions. Anytime that I see a great underdog story, I have to say something. It is what drives me. It is waht gives me hope. That is why I am saying MY STANFORD CARDINAL JUST BEAT THE TROJANS OF USC!!!!!!! This is the greatest day of the year so far.

2 comments:

Soph said...

I have a thing for under dogs too, that's why I married one.

Single Survivor said...

Soph, Your man is by no means an underdog. you know that there is so much that I can say here but I will keep it clean. ;-)

Great to see that you are the first to post!