Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Intro to the Single Parent Survival Guide

If you are not a single parent then most of what I write about may be for your understanding. If you are a single parent than what I will post is something that you have either seen, experienced, or you have observed on your own. When you become single whether by choice or otherwise, things begin to take on a whole new meaning. Simple things like grocery shopping, working, or even grabbing a cup of coffee take on a whole new meaning. When i was married I would think nothing of grabbing some quick groceries and getting in my car and not even noticing who was in the market at the time. Now I look around....Not to check out who is there, but to see who I can avoid. Let me back up for a second. I live in a growing metropolitan suburb in the Central Valley of California. Most of the old school people came here in the 30's-50's and where either Almond Ranchers, Peach Farmers, Walnut ranchers, or Dairymen. there were other Ag opportunities like Poultry and in-breeding. At that time you were either Redneck, Dutch, Portuguese, Italian or Retarded. ( I use retarded as a figure of speech and I have nothing against the mentally challenged) The retarded that I mention think that they are special because they have more than 5 acres that they inherited and never earned. Don't get me wrong I have total respect for those that bought their own property and cultivated it. The reason that I mention these people is because this is the littlest big town that I know of. Everyone knows frickin everyone in this town. I can not go anywhere in this town or the surrounding communities without someone knowing me or my former spouse. ( I hate referring to her as the X. That seems so Junior High I hate it when you are talking to a lady and she refers to her former husband as her X. the moment that she says "X" she is no longer a lady and she just turned into a shallow little girl.)

The market that I frequent is nice. It has a great deli and bakery to the right of the entrance and if you enter on the left there is a little Starbucks. Here is what I do when I go into my local market. I quickly walk in on the Starbucks side and make a dash for the restroom. Not because I have to go but it gives me a chance to scan the market and see if there is anyone that i can avoid. Why would I want to avoid people. I will tell you. There are people in this world that love drama. They love to ask questions that they know the answer to and and wait to see your reaction. They are the people that I avoid. Remember this is a little big town and they have nothing better to do than milk cows or rake almonds. In the next few posts I will share what kind of events have transpired in this Central Valley town. Most of the things that I will write about will center around the market or the area.

I went in the market this morning to get my normal cup of joe and i see the same people that I see everyday. It is pretty routine. I know that when I have my kids which is half time, that the same people are always there. Maybe we are in the same boat. Maybe we are just living mundane lives. Maybe I was smitten by a hot lady that was behind me in line. It really doesn't matter because I would be afraid of asking her out. I just have this fear of rejection. I am going to ask her out tomorrow and will post her response.

No comments: